Katashov Denis Aleksandrovich, Postgraduate student, Penza State University
(Penza, 40 Krasnaya str.), firstname.lastname@example.org
Khryanin Viktor Nikolaevich, Doctor of biological sciences, professor, sub-department of botany, physiology
and biochemistry, Penza State University, (Penza, 40 Krasnaya str.), email@example.com
Background. It is known that mitotic activity of apical root meristems influences their growth rate. The aim of this paper is to show the dependence of the mitotic index of the nucleus as the centre of cell regulation and the exogenous effects of phytohormones and sodium selenate.
Materials and methods. As a research object we used rape germinant roots which were grown on filter paper in Petri dishes with phytohormone solutions indolylacetic acid (IAA, 5 mM), brassinolide (BS, 1 mM), gibberellic acid (GA, 10 mM), sodium selenate (Na2SeO4, 0,005 M). The mi-totic activity of the apical root meristem was estimated by cytological methods (Pausheva, 1974).
Results. The results of the present study demonstrate that the treatment of the rape seeds with IAA increased the mitotic index by 65,3%, with BS – by 25%, with Na2SeO4 – by 11,1%, GA slightly reduced the mitotic index, whereas 6-BAP inhibited the mitotic activity of the apical root meristems.
Conclusions. On the basis of the obtained results we conclude that IAA, BS and sodium se-lenate in the used concentrations stimulated the mitotic activity of the apical rape root meristems and thus they can be used for the intensification of root growth, the increase of their absorbing ability and plant production.
1. Gudkov I. N. Kletochnyy tsikl rasteniy v ontogeneze: sb. nauch. tr. [Cell cycle of plants in ontogenesis: collected papers]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1988, pp. 5–16.
2. Ivanov V. B. Kletochnye osnovy rosta rasteniy [Cell basis of plant growth]. Moscow: Nauka, 1974, 202 p.
3. Ivanov V. B. Fiziologiya rasteniy [Plant physiology]. 1989, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 871–879.
4. Alekseeva E. S., Pausheva Z. P. Genetika, selektsiya i semenovodstvo grechikhi [Gene¬tics, selection and seed farming of buckwheat]. Kiev: Vyshcha shk., 1988, 2008 p.
5. Pausheva Z. P. Praktikum po tsitologii rasteniy [Tutorial on plant cytology]. Moscow: Kolos, 1974, pp. 69–99.
6. Shmidt V. M. Matematicheskie metody v botanike: ucheb. posobie [Mathematical methods in botany: tutorial]. Leningrad: Izd-vo LGU, 1984, 288 p.
7. Kalinich J. F., Mandava N. B., Todhunter J. A. J. Plant Physiol. 1985, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 207–221.
8. Liu P. B. W., Loy J. B. Amer. J. Bot. 1976, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 700–704.
9. Gamburg K. Z. Regulyatory rosta i rost rasteniy [Plants growth regulators and growth]. Moscow: Nauka, 1964, pp. 3–52.
10. Polevoy V. V. Fitogormony [Phytohormones]. Leningrad: Izd-vo LGU, 1982, 248 p.
11. Soldatov S. A. Vliyanie selenata natriya na rost, razvitie i proyavlenie pola u dvudom-nykh rasteniy konopli: Cannabis sativa L.: avtoref. dis. kand. biol. nauk [Impact of so-dium selenite on growth, development and sex expression of dioecious plants of hemp Cannabis sativa L.: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candi-date of biological sciences]. Moscow: Mosk. s.-kh. akad. im. K. A. Timiryazeva, 2005, 28 p.
12. Vikhreva V. A. Vliyanie selena na rost, razvitie i adaptivnyy potentsial kozlyatnika vostochnogo (Galera orientalis): avtoref. dis. kand. biol. nauk [Impact of selenium on growth, development and adaptive potential of eastern Galega (Galera orientalis): author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences]. Moscow: Mosk. s.-kh. akad. im. K. A. Timiryazeva, 2001, 28 p.
13. Blinokhvatov A. F., Vikhreva V. A., Khryanin V. N. et al. Selen v biosfere [Selenium in biosphere]. Penza: RIO PGSKhA, 2001, 324 s.